Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Excitement is Building...

First, update on my first mission injury: I sprained my thumb. Last Wednesday, I went to see the doctor and he gave me a brace and sent me to the BYU Health Center to get an x-Ray. Me and my dōryō had a really fun time walking in the outside world. We joked because there was a TV in the waiting room, but don't worry, we didn't watch it! Haha, we read church magazines instead. Later that day, we went back to the doctor so he could look at the x-rays and good news, my thumb isn't broken. However, in the last week, my thumb hasn't gotten any better, so I will be going back to the doctor's office today. It isn't super painful, but it's something I want to heal before I leave to Japan in 2 WEEKS!!!!! So excited!!!

This Friday, we are supposed to be getting our flight plans and I am so excited, it's unreal. I will finally be in Japan! I probably won't understand anything they say, but it's all good because I will be in Japan.

As we get closer to Japan, our teachers have started to do some review with us. We've gone back to the very beginning of our grammar book, to review earlier concepts and make sure we know them super well. It's so amazing to look back to when these concepts were hard, but now I use them on a daily basis. Japanese is such a cool language and I feel so lucky to be learning it. It's a confusing language, but it is so cool. Last week, I sent an email in Hiragana to one of my high school friends who speaks Japanese and he wrote a response back to me in Hiragana, Katakana, and Kangi. It took me a while to read the email, but in the end I could read it and understand almost all of it. Progress is being made!

Last Wednesday, we also did our first Skype TRC, with a real person living in Japan. I actually understood a lot of what she was saying and we had a good conversation about charity. TRC is so fun! Ok, all lessons are fun, but TRC is extra fun because you just get to talk to members and share little messages with them. Also, Nihongen (Japanese people) are so cute! She asked us all these questions about our families and such, it was so cute. I'm excited to do it again tonight.

Other things I'm doing to prepare for Japan:

1. I went through my Ninja (Japanese phrase book) and marked all the words I know. I'm working on memorizing the words I don't know so that I have a larger vocabulary, especially of non-missionary words. At the MTC, we learn a lot of church vocabulary which makes it hard to converse with people, so I'm working on learning more normal words, like colors.

2. I am also reading the Book of Mormon in Japanese. I will just sit there and sound out the words. It takes me forever, but I'm focusing on reading and sounding out words, not comprehension. It took me 8 min to read a long verse the other day, but it was so worth it. I'll usually be able to pick out words that I know, and that is really fun. Reading from the Book of Mormon has definitely helped my character recognition so I can read faster.

On Friday, Pierre Shimai went to Temple Square with her companions Barton and Atkinson Shimai. The MTC lets international missionaries go to Temple Square once during their time at the MTC, so since Pierre Shimai is from Brazil she got to go. She had so much fun, but our class was so quite all morning since there were only 6 of us there. Also, they went the day before the new Meet the Mormon videos were released, which was sad since one of the new videos is about a family from Tokyo who make up the band, Bless4. In class, we watched them sing "I am a Child of God" in English and Japanese and it was so good! We were singing it for the rest of the day. (Hopefully this is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLRcttvHTM )

Also funny story, apparently the place that makes our name tags accidentally made my district's name tags twice. We got one set last week, then this week they gave us another set. It was so funny because on the bag of name tags there was a sticky note that said "Just hand these out anyways." I was so excited because now I have 6 name tags. I'll probably send one set of my Japanese name tags home, so you all can see it in person if you would like.

This week, I also had to stop playing volleyball (because of my thumb), so I started playing frisbee with some of the Chorotachi. They are super good, but that makes it fun. I've played with some of the Kohai and also some of the new Kohai that just showed up this week. I actually have a friend from home, Elder Ricks, going to the same mission as I am, who reported last week. It's been so fun to see him. Anyways, we play frisbee at every free time now and it is so fun. Howard Choro likes to sass me because I can't throw very well, but it's getting better! Practice makes perfect, right?

Last week, a ton of missionaries came, so the lines at meals are insane. I will spend almost half my meal time, in line getting food because they are so long. It's crazy! Apparently, the Wednesday after I leave, 800 missionaries are coming. So to all my friends reporting August 3rd, have fun! :) It's so weird that I've been here so long. When I first reported to the MTC, there were barely any lines and the gym didn't fill up all the way during devotionals. Now the lines are insane, and the gym is stuffed and they have to have an overflow. I have seen friends come and go and it's crazy that I'm still here. I'm excited to leave though. Growth only comes when you are uncomfortable and I am definitely becoming comfortable here at the MTC. It's time to push myself and grow.

Another sign that I have been here too long? Elder David A. Bednar came for devotional on Sunday and at one point he said "I gave a talk here a few months ago called 'One by One.' None of you were probably here for that." Well, he gave that talk the first Tuesday I was at the MTC, so I've heard it, When he said that, I felt old, because I've been here so long.

Speaking of Elder Bednar, he was the biggest surprise of this week. For Sunday devotional, the MTC presidency told us we would all be watching "The Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar for our devotional. "The Character of Christ" is one of the movies here at the MTC. I watched it my first week, and I had been wanting to watch it again before I left, just to see how my perspective had changed, so this was perfect. Well, after the movie ended, we all prepared to sing the closing hymn and go off to watch our movies, but then we were surprised when Elder Bednar showed up! He came to talk to us again, but this time he did a question and answer session. How often do you get to participate in a Q&A with a member of the Quorum of the 12? Not very often. There was such an amazing Spirit in that room as he answered all sorts of questions. I was especially excited because Sister Carpenter (One of my Sister Training Leaders) and SIster Honda (one of my childhood friends) both asked questions and Elder Titel (my District Leader) shared a comment. Japan was killing it with the participation and all of their questions and comments were so perfect.

One thing that he said that really stood out to me was when he said "Sisters do 10 thing. 9 of them perfectly, and 1 just ok and then all they remember is the 1 they did ok. Don't beat yourself up about it. Don't burden yourself." Here at the MTC, one of my greatest struggles has been learning the language. I never feel like I am learning fast enough or learning enough. My mind instinctively looks to how much I still don't know. However, there are also so many things that I have done well. We have had some amazing lessons, but I always focus on the language. Elder Bednar's comments helped me to refocus myself. I am learning at the pace that I need to be learning and there are so many things I'm doing well. Since Sunday, I have tried to focus more on the things I do well, instead of my shortcomings and I have been able to feel the Spirit even more. I am still aware of the areas that I need to work on, but I don't beat myself up over a bad sentence or a missed particle.

I wish there was room and time for me to share everything that he talked about because it was all so amazing. I walked away from that devotional wanting to be the best person I can be. Missions are tough. I'm only at the MTC and I already know that. However, they are also amazing. This devotional (the combination of the movie and the Q&A session) made me realize a lot of things about myself, things I need to change, and things I do well. My mission has already helped me become a better person. I know that there are many trials ahead, especially when I get to Japan, but I am excited to face those trials and grow because of them.

I know this church is true. I love this gospel and the happiness it brings me. I am excited to go to Japan in 2 weeks and serve the people there. Thank you all for your support and love!

ブラック姉妹
Black Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment