Monday, January 2, 2017

Welcoming in the New Year!

Happy New Year!

It's so crazy to think that it's 2017 right now! One year ago I was still uncertain about serving a mission. I was filling out my papers and just going one step at a time and trusting that Heavenly Father had a plan for me. I had no idea that he had this plan in mind for me.

View from a bridge
I received my mission call in February, finished the semester at BYU in April, entered the MTC in June and arrived in Japan in August. I have learned three languages, read the Book of Mormon 3 times, talked to countless people, and seen hundreds of small miracles. I have truly been blessed this year to meet amazing people from all over the world and to hear their stories. I have been through so many highs and lows, but I have come out stronger than before. I have learned so much, but most importantly I learned about the power of the Atonement.





I know that no matter how low I am, I can always rely on Jesus Christ to know how I feel. He is always there to help me up. Missionary work is hard, but knowing that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always there for me gives me strength. I am never alone. I know that when I see miracles they are right there cheering alongside me. This is Heavenly Father's work, he rejoices with every little success just like we do. These are his children that I am helping. He loves each of them just like he loves me and he wants to help them all feel eternal joy and happiness. I am so so grateful for the Atonement that allows each of us to overcome our trials and our mistakes. It is such an amazing gift that everyone has, whether they know it or not. I love being able to teach people about the power the Atonement can have in their lives!

As for the rest of the week:

Dinner with the Itou family

It was weird this week to be celebrating the holidays without my family, but the Urayasu Ward showed us so much love. We had so many member meal appointments this week and I felt like I was a part of each of their families. I might have gained like 20000 lbs from all the meals (lunch and dinner basically every day) but it was worth it. We had the chance to talk to a lot of members about mission school and get to know them better. It's been so fun! I also feel like my Japanese is getting a lot better because I'm starting to understand more and more of the conversations that we have.

Wednesday was a really cool day though. So all week the Elders, Sister Bede and I and Yusuke (an Eikaiwa student/investigator) have been planning this suprise party for Sister Chinain's last Eikaiwa. Somehow she had no idea even though Elder Kenley kept calling us and saying he couldn't talk about it over speaker phone.

Lunch with Enomoto Shimai
Anyway, at Eikaiwa we had normal Eikaiwa and a new student came. He saw the poster outside the church, called the number, then came that night. And guess what? He was Brazilian! So yeah, I spoke Portuguese for the first time in 2 months. He really enjoyed it though and talking to me. Oh goodness, it was so rough at first though and I kept mixing Portuguese, Spanish, and Japanese, but eventually I got more into the swing of it.

Anyway, after the class, we usually have a game, so we went down to the first floor in the elevator and when it opened all the lights were off. Then we turned on the lights and blew streamers and it was such a great surprise. Yusuke brought cake, flowers and a super nice card that we all had written in and it was such a nice way to say goodbye to Sister Chinain. She really loved and appreciated it! I'm glad the Elders and Yusuke were able to plan something so special. I really wanted to do something special for Sister Chinain, but it's hard since I'm with her 24/7 so it's hard to plan surprises, so I'm so glad they were able to put this together!

On Thursday, Sister Chinain went back to the honbu (Mission Home) and on Friday she flew home. It is definitely a weird feeling to know that she is no longer a missionary and that she has finished her mission.

With the Kawamura's
That Thursday, we went to one last meal as a trio with the Kawamura couple. We had so much fun talking, watching some of The District (missionary training videos haha, both of the Kawamuras served missions recently so we all had fun with that) and eating lots of nabe (basically soup with lots of noodles, vegetables and meat that basically everyone has been feeding us since it's cold and it's easy). They even gave us all little presents. It was the perfect way to end Sister Chinain's mission because she loves that couple so much (I do too! They are so cute!).

After lunch we took her to the train and said good bye. Sister Chinain was such a fun companion. She really taught me how to be confident, to just open my mouth and talk to people, and how to study to receive personal revelation. We had so much fun dendoing together. I'm so glad I was able to learn from her! She was such an influence on me. I learned that dendo (especially finding) can and should be fun. There is so much joy to be found in missionary work and I feel like we were able to feel a lot of joy together.

New Years Eve Dinner
The scary thing now? I'm the area senpai so I'm leading! That's so weird! I am the one with all the information about the investigators and the area. It's weird because Sister Chinain knew so much and now that she's gone I feel like I don't remember as much as I should have. Sister Bede and I are working so well together though. She is an amazing missionary as well. She has so much enthusiasm and we have a lot of the same ideas for how to help Urayasu. These member meals have really been helping too because we are getting to know many families in the Ward a bit better.

The day that Sister Chinain left we were doing study when the Nemotos texted us. They had canceled their lesson with us the day before, but said we could come now. We had a meal appointment later that night, far away from their house, but we decided to roll with it and go visit them anyway. We ended up having a really great lesson. It just goes to show that when we do all we can to help our investigators, even when it makes it harder for us, we will see miracles. We could have just stayed where we were and justified that it would have taken too long to visit them, but instead we went and we saw miracles!

Because it's New Year's, which is huge in Japan, we have a few days where dendo is dame (forbidden). Yesterday, Jan 1, was our Book of Mormon reading day. We went to church then came home and read the Book of Mormon until we went to the Weatherstone's for dinner. It was so nice to just read! I wish we had more time to do it. I love the Book of Mormon, it really is my favorite book. I could read it for hours (and I did ^^). Dinner was so fun too! More nabe!!! It's such a simple dish, but it's so good.

Studying Hard

Today we have a normal p-day, but tomorrow is our big cleaning day so we aren't supposed to dendo either. Sister Bede and I are planning on deep cleaning for half the day then baking cookies as a thank you to all the people who have fed us. We are super excited! Tomorrow is also the last day of meals, I'm both sad and happy, haha.

My New Year's was pretty normal. We went to dinner at the Kawaminami's and their whole extended family was there. It was super fun.

Funny story, we actually got there like 20 minutes early (all 6 missionaries) so we just split up and did housing for 20 min. Twice, the family came home just as we were ringing the doorbell so that was really awkward.

Anyway, their family was so nice and they kept pulling out these traditional Japanese desserts. We would finish one then they would pull out another and another, it was crazy.

Happy New Year
When we got home we decided to set an alarm for 11:59 so that we could ring in the new year, oh my goodness, haha we woke up at 11:59 and originally we were going to drink some Martinelli's apple juice that members gave us for Christmas, but we were so tired that we just said happy New Years super sleepily then fell back to sleep to the sound of the Disneyland fireworks. We took a picture with the apple juice yesterday to be festive.

That was my New Year's celebration though :) It was fun!

Thank you all for making the last year so amazing! I am super excited to spend another (almost full) year in Japan! So much has happened during the last 12 months, but thank you for all of your examples and love. You really help me become a better person every day.

Have a great 2017! See miracles!

ブラクラ姉妹
Black Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment