Monday, November 6, 2017

For the last time

Ushiku Transfer 11 Week 6

Konnichiwa!

Fall day in Ushiku
I will be honest and say that I am a mixed bag of emotions right now. My suitcases have been packed and sent to the airport, I've written many cards to all those I've worked with here, I've given goodbye hugs and said more goodbyes than I can count. I am truly grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve these amazing people. I am grateful for all they have taught me. I cannot put into words how much my mission has meant to me.

Halloween Party
I realized this past week that it was almost exactly 2 years ago when I was sitting in my college dorm room, feeling the Spirit prompt me to go serve a mission. What a crazy 2 years it has been since then. I could have never imagined what that decision was going to do to change my life.

I have learned so much about love. About how our capacity to love just keeps increasing and increasing as we let more people in. I have learned about change. We can all change no matter how impossible it may seem, if we rely on the Lord and truly desire to change, we can and we will. I have learned more about the Spirit. I am so grateful to have the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The Spirit guides me in everything I do each day. He has guided every single step of my mission.

Sushi feast with the Takanishis
Just this past week we went out Streeting and it was the most chaotic thing. We had no idea where to go so we started flipping a coin to decide if we would go left or right. Ultimately the Spirit directed us the opposite way the coin did and it led us to a high school girl who is the friend of a member and she became a new investigator. We felt so aimless as we were walking, but the Spirit was guiding us straight to a super prepared person.

The Spirit has comforted me so many times. Just like all missionaries, I've struggled with doubts, fears, sickness, frustration, and lack of faith. The Holy Ghost has always been there to comfort me and help me pick myself back up and press forward.

I have also gained a much stronger testimony that this church is true. There is nothing that brings me more joy than knowing that this is the true church of God and sharing that with everyone else.

Thank you all for reading 18 months of Sister Black's emails. I'm sure sometimes they were long, and disorganized, and I used the word "miracle" waaaaaaaaay too much, but it means a lot to me. My parents have told me that many of you have enjoyed reading my blog. I hope that you were able to feel a bit of the joy and Spirit that I have felt on my mission. I look forward to seeing many of you in the upcoming weeks.

Before I close, shall we go through the crazy miracles from this past week? ;) (MIRACLES)

On Tuesday we had the chance to go to an English class with Mei and Ryouka-chan at their school! We got to do a bunch of conversation with them. Their British English teacher came too and I think he was so excited to be able to speak to native people again (aka people who would understand his jokes) that he kind of took over. Whoops! They had fun anyways and on Sunday, Mei came all the way to the church to give me a goodbye letter, it was so sweet!
Meal with the Matsubaras, Koikas, and Matsumotos

Wednesday was the start of our new Eikaiwa Basic class. We took a break all month to do finding specifically for this new class and all of us (including the Elders) were really excited. We set it all up, had new name tags ready and everything and then.........no one came. Not even one person. We were so sad. We waited and waited and waited and prayed that even just one person would come. Then in the last 15 minutes, 4 boys came in looking for ping pong. Well we don't have ping pong on Wednesdays, we have English so we invited them in and we had a short English lesson. Miracles!!! People showed up! And they said they would try coming again in the future! Yay!!! Heavenly Father answers prayers!

Young Women of the ward
This week I also had my exit interview with President Nagano. We went all the way to Nakano for a 45 minute interview (it was supposed to be 35 min but we arrived 10 min early so he just started right away). Despite having that interview, I still didn't really feel like my mission was ending. Despite packing every night this week and worrying about weight restrictions and why I have so much stuff, it still didn't feel like the end.

That night we went over to a member's house to eat lots of yummy sushi and teach her nephew about baptism. I don't know how many of you have tried to teach a 7 year old boy something but it was way hard. We all rejoiced when we finally got through to him and he told us that "Yes I do want to feel the same happiness that I feel when I play video games every single day of my life." Whew.

Birthday Party
I guess this week kind of turned into the week of meal appointments because on Friday we went to Eimi's (a young woman) birthday party and got fed a lot of yummy Peruvian food from Miyake. She even made Tres Leches cake and it was amazing. We had two more meal appointments on Saturday so lots of food. Haha. This week we have a lot of meal appointments as well. :) Fun times fun times!

Sunday is a day that I will never forget. Because it was fast Sunday, the Bishopric couldn't ask me to give a talk, but they did ask me to be the first one to bear my testimony. I got up there and I lost it. I just couldn't believe that 18 months had passed already and that I had been lucky enough to serve in this amazing ward. I tried to bear the most sincere testimony that I could and I really felt the Spirit. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone after that as well because this time feels more final. I have loved serving in Ushiku Ward so much. I have been working with people in this ward for over 9 months now and it holds a special place in my heart.

Party with the Portuguese branch
Then came the Portuguese Sacrament Meeting. After Portuguese church ended, Miyake Shimai (who I love dearly) pulled us into the kitchen to talk about when I was leaving and then she led me into another room where everyone had set up a surprise party for me. I was so shocked! I had thought we were having a party for all the November birthdays that had just happened, but they had put this all together for me. It really meant a lot to me. This group is so special to me and I'm just glad that they felt of my love. I was so touched that they had all planned this for my last Sunday. Apparently the Elders and Miyake Shimai planned most of it and they told Sister Savage who kept it a secret from me since Wednesday. It was such a sweet thing to do and I will always treasure that memory. We had a chance to eat more Brazilian sweets and take lots of pictures and say goodbye. I will miss them so much!

As you can see, it has been a very blessed week. It was truly an amazing week. I only have a few more days here in Japan, but it will always be in my heart.

わたしはこの教会が真実だと知っています。神様が皆さんを愛していることを知っています。この一年半の間にわたしがその喜ばしいメセージを分かち合いました。そのことによってたくさん幸せを感じました。日本に伝道の機会に心から感謝しています。イエスキリストはわたしたちの救い主だと知っています。キリストの贖いによってわたしたちが毎日より良い人々になることができます。(I know that this church is true. I know that God loves everyone. During this past year and a half I have shared this joyous message. Through this, I have become more happy. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve in Japan. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that through his Atonement we can become better people every day).
My desk

Eu sei que O Livro de Mormon é verdadeiro e que nos podemos buscar mais felicidade quando nos lemos este livro todos os dias. Eu sei que o profeta Thomás S. Monson é o profeta para nosso tempo. Está igreja é verdadeira. (I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that we can find more happiness when we read it each day. I know that the prophet Thomas S. Monson is the prophet for our times. This church is true).

I know that it is through the power of Heavenly Father that I have been able to serve this mission. I know that he loves each one of us personally and that we can find greater joy and happiness through living his gospel.

I love you all so much. Thank you for joining me on this 18 month journey. I will see you soon!

For the last time...

Love,

ブラック姉妹
Black Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment